Sisters

Sisters

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Sassing and Shoving your way through an Italian Renaissance Museum

Saw lots of Italian renaissance era art in Milan today and when all the religious imagery starts to get a bit much for us we end up making up silly captions for the paintings.  Wanna see?  If you're Christian I apologize in advance and hope you find me irreverent and silly instead of insulting.  That's the spirit these were meant in anyway.








Also at the museum was a video showing an elaborate restoration of a cartoon for the School of Athens fresco by Raphael.  Watching it, I decided that I want to be an art restorer who painstakingly cleans dust off masterpieces in Italy (and also get a blunt haircut, hip glasses, lab coat and cool shoes like the girl in the video.)  My family thinks this is ridiculous however, since it is essentially a job where you do a lot of cleaning, which they were quick to point out, is not really my specialty when we are at home.

"But I can lie on a specially built platform above a priceless work of art and swirl a q-tip in circles too," I said.

"Those people are trained, mum," says Sophie.

"Job requirements: Can you swirl a q-tip in circles?  You can?  Do you have cool shoes? You're hired." I say.

"Mum! They know stuff. It's more than swirling."

"Hey, there's also people that shove the platform along sometimes." (Hannah).

"What?"

"See that bit?  Once they're done a section, they have, like, people that shove the platform a foot down so they can swirl more," Hannah explains.

"Right."

"You could shove.  You're good at shoving."  The girls agree on this point.

"Thanks girls, I feel loved."







No comments:

Post a Comment