Sisters

Sisters

Friday, June 23, 2017

Poem for Paris


Awake at four to make a flight
to Paris in the dead of night
only to find our discount plane
made cancellations.  What a pain!
Steve and Han are still ok
to head to Edinburgh today
but Soph and I must make a plan
and get to Paris if we can.
She’s got a meeting there at three
(To be accompanied by me).
The taxi's coming very soon
(at ninety euros it costs the moon)
so the only thing to do is try
to find another flight to fly.
Steve books us one for 9AM
(Expedia is such a gem!)
so off we go, goodbye Milan;
be back in winter if we can.
We drop them first, goodbyes are said
to terminal 2 our taxi heads
but wait!  Guess what? Our flight is wrong
(The tiny violin now plays its song)
because the flight he booked’s at night
BUT 9 PM IS NOT ALL RIGHT!
“We’re screwed,” I say to Soph, aghast;
(I knew this good luck couldn’t last)
so off to ticketing I head
To put our budget in the red.
And for the record, let’s just say
don’t buy a ticket the same day.
There’s better ways to spend your dough
(trying not to think about them though).
So off we go, we’re on Air France
We finally do the happy dance.
We land, we get our bags, we go
But traffic makes our taxi slow
and phones don’t work so we can’t relate
we’re running just a tad bit late.
Now finally there and it’s SO posh
and again I hand out lots more dosh.
Soph goes in, her game face on
while I‘m frumpy, grumpy, pale and wan
in the lobby with the bags
looking at the fashion mags
and before we know it there she is!
(That’s how it works in fashion biz.)
And now we trudge through Paris streets
in search of SIM card, housing, eats.
Travel’s glamour has its cost
cause somehow, always, we get lost
and if you think it still sounds nice
Soph locked herself in bathrooms – TWICE.
My mastercard, it got denied;
my head it aches, my nerves are fried,
and our place is great—it’s tiny, cute
but it’s a workout for the glutes.
(I must admit I almost wept
when climbing up the hundred steps.)
But you know what? We will be fine
there’s croissants, chocolate, and wine
and not to end make it end all rude
But we’re in frickin' PARIS, dude.







No comments:

Post a Comment