Sisters

Sisters

Friday, May 24, 2019

Final Holiday Thoughts

4 random thoughts on Italy to leave you with:

MUSIC

We heard a lot of old American music playing here, like Queen, AC/DC, and Bon Jovi. In fact an old guy on the train had Bohemian Rhapsody as his ringtone and he kept getting called and didn’t know how to answer it, and eventually people started singing along to it. Then on a different train today there was a young guy playing ‘You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman’ on repeat so loud we could all hear it through his headphones. We’d been thinking it would be nice to hear some Italian music for once but then today in the park I heard a guy with an accordion play the same 15 second Italian sounding riff for 15 minutes in a row trying to make tips from tourists and I decided I never need to hear that again.

CARAVAGGIO PAINTINGS

Turns out if you plan well and are willing to walk over 30,000 steps, you can see 11 Caravaggio paintings in one day in Rome.  (Or twelve if the f*&@ing Borghese gallery doesn’t lend one out to a special exhibit in Naples during your visit.) There are only 60-70 of his paintings in the whole world. Sandy really doesn’t care about this at all and is a really good sport.


SANDWICHES

People think pasta and pizza are going to be the big thing in Italy, but I’m telling you guys- there’s these sandwiches. Very specific sandwiches. The restaurant selling them is right below our apartment on a tiny street in Florence - it started out as a single small place but has grown to four restaurants all next to or across from each other selling exactly the same thing, and at ten o’clock at night there are more than sixty people lined up to get these sandwiches to go. I don’t even really know what’s in them, the whole menu is in Italian- but Sandy took a picture of it and spent half an hour googling and translating all the ingredients to English so I just get whatever she orders. Everything is amazing. We’ve had them for times in six days. The city of Florence had to make a special street ordinance against people eating on our street, specifically because of these sandwiches! The sandwich fine is up to five hundred euros. I’m drooling typing this, guys. It’s because I bought one tonight and ate half of it and I’m saving the other half for breakfast. I’m going to dream about it.



DICK PICS

My kid texted me to tell me that the photo I put of Michelangelo’s David statue on Instagram was inappropriate (or in her words ‘So Mum, you’re kinda posting a lot of dick pics huh?’) I thought that since today is my last day, I’d switch things up and leave you with an ass pic instead. This is a beautiful Bernini statue that I snuck a picture of at the Borghese gallery today when the security guard wasn’t looking for a second. Geez, the things people will do for a piece of ass, amirite?!



Thanks for reading along.

No comments:

Post a Comment