Sisters

Sisters

Monday, August 29, 2016

Madrid Day 1

So guys, I'm in Madrid.

You know that feeling when you're really into 17th century Italian painting and you find out that a museum in Madrid is having a huge exhibit of Caravaggio's work so you just selfishly use all your family's travel money and go, by yourself, kinda at the last minute?  You don't?  Ok maybe it's just me that does that.

The flight to Munich was delayed by an hour which meant I only had 15 minutes to bolt through that airport at top speed to the (changed) gate for my connecting flight to Madrid.  Fun!  But I made it and promptly fell asleep once I got on the plane.  You know that wakey-sleepy sleep you get on airplanes when you are all disoriented?  It was that, except I only got to wake up the one time since my seat mate was not having any of that sleeping nonsense.  The second I opened my eyes he said 'good morning!' -- which I realize now may have been the only full English phrase he knows-- and he talked for the remaining two hours.  Andre was born in the Ukraine or maybe Russia and might now live in Madrid and park cars for a job.  Or he might not.  Who can say for sure?  But Andre wasn't going to let his lack of English stop him from his barrage of questions, many of which seemed to be about the 'frontier' between Canada and the US.  After a while he also said, out of nowhere,  "You are very beautiful."

"Err, thanks."

"And I am very wonderful, so Canada and the Ukraine..." And he clasped his hands together very tightly while I suddenly decided this was an excellent time to visit the bathroom.

When I got back he tried to give me his package of uneaten cookies.  After I declined repeatedly he actually took my hand and forced them into it and said "you are very....difficile," and I said "you mean 'difficult'?" And he excitedly said "yeah!" and I coukdn't argue with him there, so I said nothing.  Then he said "You married?" and I said "yes!" just as excitedly and flashed my ring, to no effect.  When I explained my sister was meeting me here and that we did not bring our husbands, he said, leadingly, "oh, it is much too sad to travel in only groups of two..." as though he was working on trying to remember the English word for 'threesone', then he insisted on trying to lift my bag down for me even though I was already holding it and I am strong as an ox.  As soon as I got off the plane I ducked into the bathroom to hide and the girl in the stall beside me was barfing uncontrollably but I kinda didn't mind the sound of it compared to listening to Andre.  Luckily when I came out he was gone.

Then I got on the wrong train to get to our rental Airbnb and rode 15 stops instead of 2 like I was supposed to which made me very late.  And the Spanish train conductor got Spanish mad at me for putting my feet up on a seat and then Mercedes the Airbnb lady got Spanish mad at me again for being late when she finally showed me into the apartment.

But it looks like a classy hooker's apartment and I love it.  (Maybe it is a classy hooker's apartment?  Who cares!  It has free wifi.)

So anyway, Madrid!  Exciting!  Tomorrow I get to see art with my sis.  Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Good lord, what a gift you have...several gifts, actually! With words, family - both those willing to let you go, and a sister who will meet you there, and your wonderful, amazing sense of humour! Have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete